Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 1 year old boxer. She was fine e most of the day.

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old boxer. She was fine e most of the day. My husband noticed that she was eating some grass. Now she won't eat or drink anything. Her nose is dry and cold.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is sleeping now but is not herself.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Missy isn't herself tonight - I'm here to help. I just wanted to let you know that I'm locked on to your question and typing out a response - there will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

In a young dog, when they stop eating and are nibbling on grass, we are usually suspicious of a general stomach upset. She may be feeling nauseous. The causes for nausea in dogs are many, but in a young dog the most common would be infectious (think stomach flu) or dietary indiscretion (I ate something that didn't agree with me). There are certainly plenty of other things that could cause them to be off, but the most common issues in young dogs are self limiting. As long as their gums are nice and pink and moist, their breathing is not labored, and there's no abdominal distention, at this point there's not a whole lot to do but give her the evening and see how she is in the morning. The symptoms that you are describing are very vague and nonspecific, meaning that they could be caused by pretty much anything. It wouldn't surprise me if she's in the early stages of a GI upset that may include vomiting and/or diarrhea, as this would be the most common reason for a dog to stop eating and nibble grass like that. However, keep a very close eye on her for new signs. If she's continuing to refuse food for greater than 24 hours with no other new symptoms or changes, that's when I usually am instructing my clients to come in for an exam.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?
Doc Sara