Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 7-yo (30lb.) Cocker Spaniel was just given a double-dose

Customer Question

My 7-yo (30lb.) Cocker Spaniel was just given a double-dose of her Trifexis (the wife and I didn't "connect" on our efforts to dispense).
The stated dose is 560mg, of which she has now received twice that much. Problem or not?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fine with waiting on your response, Doc. Thanks you.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Luckily Trifexis has a very high margin of safety in the dog in my experience so this should not be a serious overdose, in fact many dogs will get away with this with and show no symptoms but some may show lethargy and perhaps vomiting over the next 24 hours. There is no particular antidote if this happens, just support as the drug works it's way out of her system.

2. It is probably safe enough just to sit things out but if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Trifexis that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. However whatever happens you should keep an eye on her and if you note any marked deterioration or become further concerned then you should have your vet check her over without delay just to be on the safe side. but as I said this should not be too serious a situation.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Trifexis incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.