Treevet
Treevet,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Hyde Park Veterinary Hospital
89661231

A CLIENT ACCUSED OF LEAVING S DOGS OUT ON A LEASH + DAYS

Customer Question

HI. I AM REPRESENTING A CLIENT ACCUSED OF LEAVING HIS DOGS OUT ON A LEASH FOR 4+ DAYS WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER. THIS ISSUE AROUSE FROM A CALL BY A NEIGHBOR HAVING A DISPUTE WITH MY CLIENT. IF FACT MY CLIENT ARRANGED FOR HIS FRIEND TO FEED AND WATER THE DOGS EVERY MORNING ND NIGHT. THE AVERAGE TAMPERATURE ON THOS EDAYS WAS 84 DEGREES AND SUNNY. CAN A DOG SURVIVE THAT LONG AND IN THAT WEATHER FOR THAT LONG OR WHAT WOULD BE THE CONDITION OF SUCH DOGS IF THEY DID SURVIVE. THANK YOU
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** have been a small animal veterinarian for 5 years. I have spent time in emergency medicine, shelter medicine and general practice. I have also testified in a few animal cruelty trials.

That's a good question. The answer is entirely subjective and dependent on the actual weather during that time and even the breed and health status of the dog. In my opinion, if the dog had sufficient shelter from sunlight, their health status was normal, they were not a heat susceptible breed(think bulldog, husky etc...) and were provided with plenty of food and water then the dog can survive those conditions. In response to your last question, even if the dog had no shelter and was healthy with access to food and water it would likely survive without long-term effects. It would probably be mildly dehydrated just due to heat. A lot of this comes down to whether the dog had suitable shelter and whether from breed or health status he could handle the heat.

Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tippy And Willy. How is everything going?
Treevet