Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Our 13 year old golden retriever has a reocurring mucus like

Customer Question

Our 13 year old golden retriever has a reocurring mucus like eye discharge. Our vet deemed it an eye infection and prescribed a salve to apply to the under lid area of the eyes. This has not solved the problem. Your advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Hugger today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long was the problem going on for? Besides the eye discharge was the eye red? Is she rubbing at the eye or keeping it closed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's had the problem off and on for about a year. No visable redness in the eye. I don't think she is rubbing the eyes and they are not closed.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did your veterinarian stain the eye to rule out an ulcer? Has any medication worked in the past. With chronic discharge in an older pet a couple tests can be performed to help determine the specific cause. One is the test a mentioned which is a stain to rule out an ulcer. Another condition is possible dry eye, this is where the eye would stop producing tears there the eye produces a thick discharge instead. This can be confirmed with a tear production test. Another condition that should be considered is glaucoma which is increased pressure in the eye. This is less likely to me because you have stated that the eyes are not read. Then finally you may consider that she may have an allergy. In that case she may need a different type of eye medication, Typically one that has a steroid in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that her vet did perform a test at first to determine something, but not sure what. It was his prognosis that she had an allergy. He prescribed the vetropolycin. This has not cured the problem. Thus, my inquiry of you as to what to do next. Take her back to her vet or what?

Yes I would take her back to the veterinarian and ask about the Schirmer tear test, Glaucoma test, and double check to see if he tested her for any ulcers. Also ask to see if your veterinarian may want to try a different medication to see if that helps. If it is allergies she may need an ointment that has a steroid in it. I don't believe vetropolycin has a steroid in it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll take her back next week and follow up on your suggestions. Thanks

No problem let me know if you have any other questions

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne