Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We adopted a rottweiler last Sat. That had previously had

Customer Question

We adopted a rottweiler last Sat. That had previously had mange but we eere told it all cleared up.We just noticed that his back end is all chewed up and he has it opened up. He will not let it go and out vet. Is closed till Monday.What can we do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. I just signed in and saw that no one else had responded to you yet.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

This itching may or may not be related to mange. The area that he is affected by is a common spot associated with fleas and flea allergies as well. Do you know if he has been treated for fleas recently?

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

For now, there are a couple of things that we can do to try to help him feel more comfortable and prevent further damage to his skin.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

First, I recommend purchasing an Elizabethan collar or similar product from the local pet store. This can be the traditional hard plastic cone, a softer vinyl cone, or an inflatable neck collar that prevents him from turning his head back to his tail.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

You can also start a dose of over the counter Benadryl. When you see my post, respond with his weight and I can help you with appropriate dosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
89 lbs
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

OK, you can give him 3 tablets of Benadryl (each 25 mg diphenhydramine) every 8-12 hours as needed to control itching. Make sure there is no added decongestant product, as these are toxic to dogs.