Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Dog had teeth cleaned4 days ago. Eyes are swollen almost

Customer Question

Dog had teeth cleaned4 days ago. Eyes are swollen almost shut. Right side of face swollen, some drooling. Eating ok. Can I wash her eyes with warm milk?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your poor pooch is experiencing this problem. The most likely cause of this is a bacterial infection. When teeth are cleaned the cleaning process puts bacteria into the air right by the eyes. Sometimes these airborne bacteria that used to be on her teeth land in her eyes and set up an infection. Because infection is the most likely milk is a really bad idea. Milk contains lactose which is a sugar that will actually feed bacteria. What I would recommend is just using warm water on a cloth covering her eyes for about 10 min at a time. You calso can purchase over the counter eye drops like Genteal, Alaway, or Artificial tears and apply them 2-4x daily as needed until you can see the vet. If the swelling of the eyes and face continue through Monday then have the vet check her eyes and likely prescription antibiotic drops will be needed to clear up the problem. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan