Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My shepard s right leg is swollin from knee down but doesnt

Customer Question

My shepard s right leg is swollin from knee down but doesnt bother her took to vet and they aspirated and got clear fluid and put her on prednisone but she could not control bladder whàt else could I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your shepherd. Lymphedema should be considered if an envenomation or local infection has been ruled out. This describes a swelling of protein-rich interstitial fluid caused by impaired lymphatic function. A localized lymphedema in a limb has many differential diagnoses but many times a cancer has metastasized to that area or a primary cancer involving the lymph system of the limb is present. Clarifying the etiology can be challenging often involving a complete blood count, serum biochemical panel, rectal examination to identify caudal abdominal or pelvic mass lesions; thoracic radiographs looking for heart disease, mediastinal masses, and pleural effusion; abdominal radiographs or ultrasound looking for iliac lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes), a pelvic mass lesion, or enlargement of the liver and/or spleen; cytologic examination of regional lymph nodes or tissue fluid; and biopsy of affected tissues to rule out lymphangiosarcoma.

Lymphedema is often overlooked by generalist vets. Please feel free to share our conversation with your vet and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they sent the fluid to a pathologist and he thought her immune system was over reacting because he could see no abnormal cells they put her on prednizone but that just made her unable to control her bladder but the swelling did go down they took here off of the med and it came right back.

Thank you. Yes, prednisone will reduce swelling whatever the etiology of the swelling might be and polyuria (increased volume of urine) is a common adverse effect of prednisone. An overactive immune system isn't likely to manifest so locally - just in her right leg from her stifle (knee) distally. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you suggest a good vet in wyoming or clothe thing that is odd is the it doesn't bother her at all.would you suggest a blood workup

I regret that I'm not familiar with Wyoming vets. I can, however, recommend your looking here: www.acvim.org (click on "Animal Owners" and then "Find a Specialist" in the drop down menu for a specialist veterinary internist who would be better equipped to perform the kind of testing that your shepherd requires. The CSU veterinary school in Fort Collins might be your best bet. Yes, diagnostics in the form of blood and urine should be part of her workup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sincerely ***** ***** for your time and i will be getting an appointment for her in fort collins at csu
kurt

I'm pleased to hear this, Kurt. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.