Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

How old does your puppy have to be to have a real bone.

Customer Question

how old does your puppy have to be to have a real bone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Real bones are not a good option for any dog at any age. They can cause and obstruction, broken teeth, pierce the intestinal tract, or crack the jaw bone.

With that being said, some people do still feed their dogs bones and it is there choice. A bone should not be given to a puppy that has not had all of their adult teeth. Bones can break a puppy's teeth as there is no give to a bone like there is to man made soft chew bones.

Here is more on the dangers of Bones from a Veterinary Website

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/feeding-nutrition/the-dangers-of-bones-to-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Nylabone dura bones make a safer alternative and the bones are flavored. They have them for dogs of all ages going by their health requirements,

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Carmen. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive