Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

A friend of mine said she has given her dog hydrocortisone

Customer Question

A friend of mine said she has given her dog hydrocortisone before for cancer when she ran out of her dogs pain meds. Is that safe to use just for emergencies for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. That was suppose to be hydrocodone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I should of had her put down. She's 14 and over weight on top of other problems. But we're raising a grandson and it just broke his heart. But whenever we give her rimadyl she's like a new dog. I just couldn't afford them this month. I don't know what else to do but have her put down.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

So sorry to hear about Little Bit's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Unfortunately as regards ***** ***** it is really not indicated or effective for pain in dogs. It is usually only used as an antitussive or cough suppressant in the species. Also depending on which formulation you have it can do harm. Some of the formulations have acetaminophen and other ingredients which can do harm to animals.

2. You do have one option though this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } for example which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog. Aspirin is in the same family as Rimadyl by the way being a NSAID { nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug }

A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning your friends's dog.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Bit. How is everything going?