Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Im on vacation i dropped my blood pressure pill labatalol

Customer Question

im on vacation i dropped my blood pressure pill labatalol 200 mg my 10 shih tzu chewed it up a lot is left on floor, is it harmfull to her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This incident is probably not so serious because not all of the tablet was ingested probably just a small amount judging from what you have told me. But you have a very small dog so it is best to play safe. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However if you fail to induce vomiting any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. Labetalol is a hypertensive and the signs of toxicity in the dog could include weakness and lethargy and incoordination. If you see such symptoms or indeed any other odd symptoms you should contact an emergency vet without delay. Hopefully this is unlikely though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Labatalol ingestion ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.