Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been scratching and biting There was a bug

Customer Question

my dog has been scratching and biting There was a bug crawling in his fur that he had been biting his lower back area the bug look reddish brown and I'm not sure what type of bug that can be or is this some type of parasite? and what do I do to get rid of it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are only two "bugs" that can be seen by owners that might "bite the lower back area" - fleas or lice. Pretty much any flea insecticide will kill lice and so your concentrating on fleas should be your mission. Most fleas are now resistant to the insecticides in shampoos and powders. Spot-ons are preferred now and over the counter Advantage or a fipronil-containing spot-on such as Frontline are available to you. We have seen populations of fleas resistant to those spot-ons, however, and so for more reliable spot-ons consider one of the prescription products from your vet who also carries prescription oral products which have the advantage of not washing off in baths. If you prefer a flea collar, the new over the counter Seresto collar is effective against both fleas and ticks.

To successfully eradicate fleas, you'll need to treat your premises. That can be done by a professional fumigator or you can use an area treatment spray such as Siphotrol. Siphotrol also contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) which is essential to prevent flea eggs and larvae from developing into adult fleas. A spray will be more effective than a fogger which doesn't reach under furniture well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?