Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

17lb Havanese. Feed 2x day. A.M. Less than 1/2 C dry food.

Customer Question

17lb Havanese. Feed 2x day. A.M.
Less than 1/2 C dry food. P.M "same" but sprinkle w/ chicken or wet. Eats evening meal, but will not eat a.m. Twice in last month has vomited up small amount of yellow mucus. Know she's hungry cause eats evening meal. Have I caused problem by adding wet to evening food?
Trying new dry foods, which introduce slowly, but think she is waiting for something more? New food is Merrit grain free Duck & Sweet potato..last food was Freedom grain free chicken. When she ate it, picked out all the vitamin kibbles
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

This is a great question, my suggestion would be to reduce her evening meal by 50% to encourage eating the morning meal as well. You can definitely give a little wet food or chicken to her meals to entice her appetite but just a little. Typically a small breed dog is <1 tsp and mixed in with some water right before feeding so the dry food takes on the flavor of the treat.

But if you are able to reduce her evening meals she should increase her appetite in the morning and reduce the risk of stomach acid increase and therefore vomiting.

You can also supplement pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/2 tablet orally every 12 hours to reduce stomach acid and upset to see if this helps with the vomiting episodes

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!