Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My English dog swallowed approx 3/4 tube of sodium chloride

Customer Question

My English bull dog swallowed approx 3/4 tube of sodium chloride ophthalmic ointment USP 5% we recovered the tube and lid but not sure how much ointment was swallowed or eaten. Should I take him to the Er vet clinic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

No need for you to do anything in this sort of situation, your dog should be just fine.

1. This type of product is usually used for short term treatment treating of swelling of the cornea of the eye. Basically it is a hypertonic salt solution, it works by drawing water out of the cornea. The good news is that sodium chloride is just salt of the sort you might put on your food and so is not toxic to dogs, you may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but even this is unlikely because of the small amounts involved in your case.

2. Of course you should keep a good eye on your dog and contact a local vet if any odd symptoms arise but really I do not see this happening

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.