Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dogs got in a bit of rough play and one of them received

Customer Question

My dogs got in a bit of rough play and one of them received a cut just under her eye. I've treated it with hydrogen peroxide but am wondering if I need to do more.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

In general, cuts can be washed out with an antimicrobial solution such as the over the counter Hebiclens (chlorhexidine) and then a triple antibiotic ointment can be applied to the cut thrice daily. Peroxide is a weak antiseptic and so the chlorhexidine is preferable. It's the bite wound punctures that will abscess and require a systemic antibiotic at this time to prevent abscessation from developing. If you don't see such punctures, however, following my directions above should suffice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Matt,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?