How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 26277
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dogs ate grapes

Customer Question

my dogs ate grapes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

What does your dog weigh and how many grapes were eaten? 1/2 of a grape per pound of body weight could be worrisome although grape toxicity is idiosyncratic; in other words, most dogs can eat grapes to their heart's content without harm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's my two dogs one terrier mix puppy who weighs 7 lbs and one terrier mix who might have greyhound in her who weighs 17lbs. I'm not sure who ate how much because I wasn't home. it was 6 grapes really large ones tho about the size of 2 normal grapes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

That would be enough grapes to cause acute renal failure in either of your dogs but this isn't a common poisoning. Rather than induce emesis in both of your dogs, I would, instead, watch for the signs of renal failure which include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, diarrhea, abdominal pain (as evidenced by vocalization and "splinting" of the abdomen), and weakness seen 12-24 hours post-ingestion. Should any of those symptoms arise, a vet visit is in order. I suspect that nothing of the sort will occur and your dogs will remain unaffected.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide? to be on he safe side?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How long have you been gone from the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since 9:00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got back around 10:30
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. There wouldn't be any grapes left in their stomachs to evacuate and so inducing emesis isn't appropriate. It's best to simply "watchful wait". I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even tho it's only been 2 1/2 hours it's already going thru them?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the stomach should be empty and the rest of the transit time through the GI tract varies from 4-12 hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you I will keep a sharp eye on them!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good!