Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have pekingese who is vey sick she has throwing up and is

Customer Question

i have pekingese who is vey sick she has throwing up and is pooping a bloody lose stool liquid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that , Due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls but I would like to try to help....

It appears that Princess has a mild digestive disturbance caused possibly by something that she may have ingested r some form of stress. The blood you see is most likely due to the loose stool irritating the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. Once this disturbance is resolved, this will resolve. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Princess for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean your sweet Princess back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. I worry that, due to her age, Princess could be suffering from a Pancreatitis or infectious disease.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this does make sense I only have zantac for indigestion if I cut the pill in fourths will she b able to take that. And thank you very much this was very helpful.

Yes, Zantac can be used at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hrs. I hope sweet Princess feels better soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta