Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Last Saturday, my ~50 lb. cocker mix, Charlie, found a gel

Customer Question

Last Saturday, my ~50 lb. cocker mix, Charlie, found a gel pen and chewed up part of it. I found long, sharp shards of plastic under the coffee table. The next day, he had thrown up orange die all over the carpet. He has been getting me up at all hours of the night to let him out. I thought that perhaps he was sick from the plastic he ingested but I watched him in daylight yesterday (Thursday) as he strained and strained to pass this plastic and was unable to. As soon as I saw that he was unable to go, I called his vet's office and made an appointment for today. My husband is 98 and fell getting out of the shower on Wednesday and has been in a fair amount of pain. I didn't want to leave him alone, and I can't see to drive at night, or I would have taken Charlie to the small animal emergency clinic. Charlie still can't seem to pass the plastic, and, with each day that passes, the danger to him increases. He is still drinking water but I stopped feeding him yesterday around noon, feeling that more food will make him even more uncomfortable than he must be already. A week is FAR too long! Had I known, I would have taken him immediately. (The one person who could stay with my husband is out of town.)
Will Charlie need expensive surgery? What method will the vet use to get him to pass the plastic? I am worried sick for this good, sweet dog! I wish I had realized sooner that he was unable to go, rather than suffering from diarrhea.
Thank you.
Alix von Wrede
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Alix. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has Charlie had any black stool since trying to pass this? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any tensing or tenderness if you press on his belly?