Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What do i do to stop my dogs enlarged prostate from bleeding

Customer Question

what do i do to stop my dogs enlarged prostate from bleeding hee has been on antibotics for 2 weeks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Has his vet done any testing to diagnose why the prostate is enlarged?

Have they done any tests to make sure the blood in his urine is not from urinary or kidney issues?

Is he castrated?

Has only antibiotics been tried?

How much blood is he passing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2weeks or more yes sonogram and bactrim for antibotic for 2weeks already no he is not nuttoured he has a decent amount of blood
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, there isn't a quick way at home to reduce bleeding if it is related to the prostate (since one cannot put pressure on it or bandage it like a paw). Therefore, if he isn't improving with the antibiotics, you will need to update his vet on this urgently. Especially if he is losing quite a bit of blood.

Based on their treatment, it does sound like a prostatic infection is suspect. But with this lack of improvement, you may need them to take an aspirate of the prostatic tissue or a prostatic wash. They can help determine if we have something else here (ie overgrowth of the prostate due to testosterone, cancer, etc) and the wash can be cultured to check for bacteria resistant to what has been tried (and it will tell you what any bacteria here is vulnerable to). So, those would be the ideal next steps here.

Otherwise, if this is thought to be related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (related to testosterone), then this condition and its signs are often cured with castration. Or if there is a reason he is not a candidate for that, there are injectable treatments and implants that can block testosterone and help stop this as well. Finally, if there was inflammation seen with his ultrasound, then you will also want to speak to them about dog safe anti-inflammatories. These can reduce inflammation and if that is what is triggering our bleeds, then it can reduce those too.

Overall, this sounds like a less then straightforward situation. Therefore, since the antibiotics have not been of help, we'd want to take the above steps to diagnose what is amiss with this prostate so that we can take the right treatment approach and reduce this bleeding for him. And of course, if it is severe just now, then you may need to have him seen urgently to at least try the above treatments and try to settle this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi ***** *****i,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet