Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 month old 11 pound Westie chewed on a tube of Sienna

Customer Question

My 8 month old 11 pound Westie chewed on a tube of Burnt Sienna oil paint and enjested some. I induced vomiting and a lot of stomach contents came up. The Maker is Holbein. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did Ivy eat any of the tube itself or packaging?

Do you think she brought up as much as she ingested and/or potentially more stomach contents?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since you gave me the brand name, I have checked the Material Data Safety sheet for this oil paint and there are no listed toxins in it. Therefore, if you have induced vomiting and gotten quite a bit back, then Ivy's risk here is low. Further to that, you need only flush her mouth to remove and residue and monitor for any stomach upset. Otherwise, if you did want to err on the side of caution, then you could follow up with OTC activated charcoal from the pharmacy. We can give this at a dose of 1-4 grams per pound of her weight every 8 hours to just bind any lingering oil pain in her stomach. But again there is nothing listed as harmful per the company's data sheet. So, as long as she didn't eat the non-edible tube, we'd expect no harm.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)