Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has always had an infection in s eye due to an ulcer

Customer Question

My dog has always had an infection in his eye due to an ulcer he has in his stomach but now we are worried becAuse it's weird because he has is eye closed because it hurts him but we are giving him medicine but sometimes he opens his eye and its normal and other time it's clear blue so idk
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just saw that he was getting blueness in his eye today I'm afraid of someone telling me he's blind we have always cured his eye with the infection medicine I've been searching all the sites and its making me paranoid that it's this and that
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't understand the relationship between an infection in Skittles's eye and an ulcer in his stomach. There shouldn't be such a relationship. The "blue" you're seeing is likely due to corneal edema which can result from corneal damage - an abrasion or ulcer, e.g. - or stretching of the cornea due to increased intraocular pressure caused by glaucoma. Keeping his eye closed (blepherospasm) indicates pain. He needs to be seen by his vet at your earliest convenience. His cornea needs to be stained with fluoroscein in an attempt to identify corneal damage, his intraocular pressure needs to be assessed, and his tear production needs to be measured. If possible, the inside of his eye needs to be carefully examined with an ophthalmoscope. yes, blindness is a risk particularly if glaucoma is present.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skittles. How is everything going?