Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog vomiting what smells like poop. Normal bowels.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Dobie is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How often is she vomiting?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does she weigh?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our other dog has done this before...when she was in her kennel for a long period of time.Dobie had been in her box for a long period of time. She pooped in her box...we then went outside in the pouring rain where she pooped again.We then went for a ride in the car. She seemed fine in the car. Started vomiting when we got home.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does she weigh?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going on for probably 15 mins.Vomiting pretty consistently for about 5 minutes. Now has stopped vomiting.Did not eat anything I'm aware of.No pre-existing conditions I am awa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pre-existing conditions I am aware of.Weights around 6 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter