Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 week old French Bulldog recently went to the vet was

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Brian! My 10 week old French Bulldog recently went to the vet for what was diagnosed as Gastroenteritis. He was throwing up and has liquidity yellow diarrhea. While on the antibiotics and Hills I/D food, he seemed to do much better. A few days later, my 7 month old bulldog started throwing up, put on the same medication and now is perfectly fine. Now my 10-week old started with a soft stool that looked slimy and red streaks and certainly smelled of iron. He is playing and eating just the same as always. I have him on the Royal Canin French Bulldog formula the breeder had him on. When he came to us, his stools were perfect. He is now on his second round of antibiotics. Doctor may think it's a parasite we didn't get with the first dose. Any thoughts ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The standard of care is not to treat a simple diarrhea initially with a systemic antibiotic. Even if a bacterial gastroenteritis were present, it's expected to remiss unaided within a few days in the great majority of dogs. Antibiotics too often cause a dysbiosis (imbalance in the GI microflora) which then can worsen the diarrhea. My approach to your bulldog would be to prophylactically worm with fenbendazole daily for 7 consecutive days even if a fecal oval and parasite exam were negative. Too often these exams are falsely negative. Fenbendazole is broad spectrum against all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) and also addresses the protozoan Giardia. You can find fenbendazole over the counter in pet/feed stores. Because you're also seeing red streaks (hematochezia/blood in the stool) it would be prudent to treat for coccidia as well with one or two doses of ponazuril - the drug of choice for treating coccidia.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, Dr. Michael. Is it recommended to continue the antibiotics ? I expressed my concern to my vet initially regarding the antibiotics. Is ponazuril over the counter as well ?

I would stop the antibiotics and let your vet know that you're doing so. No, ponazuril is a prescription drug and still not prescribed as often as it should be. Too many vets are still prescribing sulfadimethoxine (Albon, e.g.) when treating coccidia. It's effective but needs to be given for 14-21 days while ponazuril just requires 1 or 2 doses. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to call my vet first thing tomorrow morning. I appreciate all of your help very much !

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great. I will certainly like to do that and keep you posted. :)

I appreciate it! No need to reply at this time.