Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is bleeding from her anus and she's vomiting I'm very

Customer Question

My dog is bleeding from her anus and she's vomiting I'm very concern what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Ariel is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is Ariel?

2- Does she have diarrhea?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- How much does she weigh?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ariel is 4 months old, she seems to have diarrhea with blood in it so idk if she's bleeding or or if it's combined with diarrhea.. I'm not sure we think she ate plays oh or some type of pork meat, yes she's lethargic, I'm not sure how much she weighs but I believe about 15 pounds, she doesn't wanna move & she's shaking a lot
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in response I had some technical problems at this end.

Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look pale.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very concern for her what should I do. Do I take her to vet? Is there any home remidy that I can give her I just don't want to loose her.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting and bloody diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections (parvo), dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. Having pale gums is a major concern, this could be a sign of severe dehydration.

In this case treating from home is going to be very difficult. You see, if she is vomiting she will not keep fluid down so it will be difficult to get her hydrated. In addition, it is important to do some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. I would highly recommend having her checked today by a veterinarian; if this is related to parvo or ingestion of a foreign body the outcome could be fatal if she is not treated promptly. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol it will make the bleeding worst. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Give her 1 teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup directly into her mouth. Wait 20 minutes and if she does not vomit offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

3- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ariel. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter