Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog looks like he has a problem with s penis. The tip of

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Barbara,
My dog looks like he has a problem with his penis. The tip of it is out and pretty red. He's always licking it. I also found some blood on his leg today and it seems like it's from his penis. It also looks quite swollen. We just rescued this dog this last summer and he's only about a year-year in a half.. I want to take him to the vet but he's not a very well trained dog so I'm scared there might be some problems with him behaving.. If there's anything I can do to it instead of taking him to the vet that would be great but I'm not sure. Just want a professional opinion.
Thank you so much
Mackenzie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If Fonzee is intact, the swelling and bleeding is usually found to be related to acute prostatitis. In most cases neutering and a round of an antibiotic that penetrates into the prostate well such as TMP-SMZ or enrofloxacin will be curative. We also need to consider simple trauma, excessive sexual excitement, balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce/penile sheath), and the rarer canine transmissible venereal tumor. I understand your concerns about his behavior but it sounds as if a vet visit will be necessary for Fonzee. We're quite adept with handling misbehaving dogs!

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Salkin! I will call the vet and set up an appointment!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.