Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Just got home...my dog ate some body oil..sunflower and

Customer Question

Just got home...my dog ate some body oil..sunflower and jojoba oil- first 2 ingredients
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Neither sunflower oil or jojoba oil are toxic to dogs as such so no problem there, they may however have a a laxative effect or it could precipitate a minor transient bout of gastroenteritis but this would rarely be too serious.

2. If you want to spare your dog the above possible side effects then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the oils that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. Other than inducing vomiting all you need do is to monitor your dog and contact an ER vet if serious side effects occur or you become further concerned. But this would b eunlikley

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the body oil incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Sandi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?