Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I 't know if these actually work, but my dog is acting fine

Customer Question

Hi, I don't know if these actually work, but my dog is acting fine but when she pooped she had lots of little black dots in her poop and it the pop itself was like crumbly and fell apart. And then a little blood came out, not a lot just a couple drops. She acted like she still had to go but nothing came out. She doesn't have any other problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may have eaten some plant material or soil. This would explain the black dots and the dry consistency of the stools. It can also be irritating to the lining of the colon and rectum, leading to the blood streaking and straining. Straining is often times due to irritation of the lining of the colon and the urge to go, even though there may not be much in there.

To help with these signs, I like to give some canned pumpkin- 1-2 tablespoons 2-3 times daily. This is a good source of fiber to normalize the colon motility and to cushion the walls of the colon and rectum.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Darien Smith,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?