Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. Has your dog eaten choke cherries? The symptoms that you are describing are concerning but not typical of a chokecherry toxicity. Chokecherry pits contain cyanide but most dogs don't ingest enough and chew the pit enough to cause a significant toxicity. It is usually more of a problem in livestock or horses. The signs of chokecherry toxicity include dilated pupils, trouble breathing, and bright red gums. I would strongly recommend getting your pup in to see the vet if he is still showing these behaviors you describe. How is he doing today?