Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

What could be wrong with our miniature dashund dogs back nd

Customer Question

What could be wrong with our miniature dashund dogs back hind legs?Drags his back legs when trying to walk?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about LuLu. I am happy to help you this evening. A dachshund that is dragging her hind legs is a major concern. Most of these dogs have a back issue where the disk in the spine is pushing against her spinal chord and causing paralysis. This condition has to treated as soon as possible. She should be seen immediately by a veterinarian to be evaluated and determine how severe this condition is and if medical treatment is an option or surgery is a must. I would not give any more advil as this can be toxic to dogs. You will need to tell the vet also how much advil you gave her also because this can cause some issues with her stomach and kidneys also. But she absolutely needs to be seen because of her back issues to get this addressed. This unfortunately is very common in this breed. If to much time is taken to get treatment then the changes can be permanent.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!