Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What kind of in-home blood pressure monitor should I get

Customer Question

What kind of in-home blood pressure monitor should I get for my Standard Poodle?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question about your Poodle. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does he have a problem that requires blood pressure monitoring? Is he on any blood pressure medication?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did some research on a vets only website, with some veterinary cardiologists. The units made for people are not accurate in dogs so they are not recommended. The most accurate way to monitor blood pressure in dogs is to use a Doppler unit. You may be be able to fine a used dopple unit or a veterinary Cardell unit online:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/veterinary-blood-pressure-monitor

Here are some of the more accurate Doppler units:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281605825156?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

If you get one of these, I would have a technician or veterinarian show you how to use it. I might even take the blood pressure with my Doppler unit, and compare with the readings on the unit you get, to see how close they are.

Let me know what else I can help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.