Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog, vomits 6 to 8 hours after eating, vomit is dry chewed

Customer Question

dog, vomits 6 to 8 hours after eating, vomit is dry chewed material (no flem or digestive juices). Apparently has good bowel movements, urinates properly, has a good atitude.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Delayed gastric emptying exists in Precious but that only tells us the there's either a primary stomach disorder or a disorder elsewhere in his body that's affecting her stomach. An antiemetic ("anti-vomit shot") would be contraindicated in such a patient. Instead, I would consider a prokinetic drug - a drug that assists the stomach in emptying - such as metoclopromide. Ideally, we want to find the cause of her food being retained in her stomach. Can you upload a copy of Precious's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try when I return home Friday

Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post.