Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Our Chiwenie was going up the doggie steps to our bed, steps

Customer Question

our Chiwenie was going up the doggie steps to our bed, steps collapsed and her right leg is very sensitive
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Torie today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When you say Torie collapsed do you mean she became unconcious or fell down? Does she seem painful?, Is there any swelling that you can see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did not become unconscious, the doggie steps leading to our bed collapsed (weighs about 10 lbs) while she was going up them. Can;t see swelling but her right front leg is in pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I just found out where the pain is coming from-it's where her leg meets the body

Ok thanks for the additional information. Is she limping with that leg? How long ago did it happen? If it just happened then I would try to prevent her from jumping off or on furniture. It sounds like she may have injured her shoulder area. The main concern will be whether she just sprained something or has a more serious injury such as a fractures. Typically sprains can resolve on their own and in most cases you don't see swelling. They often start using the affected leg after a few hours. With more serious injuries, dogs tend to hold up the leg and refuse to walk on it despite rest. Also you may see swelling or she may be extremely painful. If that is the case with Torie, then I would recommend having her seen by a veterinarian to make sure. She may need to be put on some pain meds to help her out as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. She can walk on it, slowly, and I think it is a sprain. We will take her to a vet.
Thanks

No problem Let me know if you have any further questions. I will be glad to help

Hi James,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Torie. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne