Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is truvia poisonous to large dogs?

Customer Question

Is truvia poisonous to large dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

No, stevia (the source of the sweetener for Truvia) is non-toxic to dogs. The only artificial sweetener of concern is xylitol which can cause hypoglycemia and hepatotoxicity in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have to go to my vet with my dog if he ate truvia packets?

The Truvia isn't a problem. If he ate a substantial number of packets you'll need to watch that he can pass all of the paper uneventfully. A large dog should be able to do so but be aware of the tell-tale signs of obstruction - anorexia and persistent vomiting - which should prompt having his vet X-ray your dog's abdomen to better understand what's going on in his GI tract. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?