Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 16 year old and I would say about 20-25% after he

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old ***** ***** and I would say about 20-25% after he drinks water it comes back up. he can eat dog food and people food and keep it down. he has lost about 5# ***** so. do you have any ideal what his problem might be? an old country doctor gave him some antibiotics and told me to give him pepto bismol and it didn't really help a lot, I think the pepto help some maybe but he still doesn't feel good
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When he does bring the water back up, has he had quite a lot ?

Has he been drinking more recently?

Is he passing more urine? Does it look watery/dilute?

Any decline in his appetite?

What are his stools like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has been drinking a lot more. he does drink a lot at a time. no I don't think he is uriniating more. his appetite has declined. I have not seen his stools yet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Did his vet do any tests to pinpoint the cause of his signs (ie bloods, ultrasound, urine tests, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he just said it was his heart but just in case he gave me the antibiotics and told me to use pepto bismal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

One a few more question since you noted a heart issue being diagnosed, how did he diagnose that?

What type of heart issue did he think was present?

If he thought he had heart disease, did he say why he gave antibiotics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is just an old country vet more with cows. the dog gets very upset when he goes to the vet and he listened to his heart and said it stopped once while he was on the table. I guess he thought he was old enough to have heart problems
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough,

Now I have to admit that your dog's signs, the vet's diagnosis and then choice of treatments does quite fit with one another. We could have increased thirst as part of heart disease, but dogs with a heart condition often have exercise intolerance, may pant more, may have a soft cough, or even faint. They don't usually retch/vomit when over drinking and while weight loss is possible most of the time we see them with fluid filled bellies. So, while its possible that your lad could have a low grade heart block, it doesn't explain the other signs we are seeing.

Instead, my concern here for a dog that is drinking a lot, has weight loss, and retching/gagging water is that we may have a systemic/organ based issue. Specifically, this raises concerns of kidney disease, liver disease, and potentially hormonal based diseases (is Cushing's, Addison's, diabetes). To diagnose if one of these is present, we often just need to test a blood sample. This allows us to see if we have any organ dysfunction, how severe it may be, or if there are hints of those hormonal conditions lurking.

Further to this, I would note that the gagging/retching does make me suspicious of a possible gastritis or ulcerations in the throat. Both are side effects of kidney disease and therefore we often see dogs with kidney troubles showing all the signs you have reported. Now I wouldn't use Pepto in these dogs, but we can find antacids like Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) helpful. They won't cure the problem but they can help reduce the GI signs. So, you could use that here for Levi. Otherwise, further treatment would of course depend on which of the above was lurking.

Overall, his signs are suggestive of a heart condition here. Furthermore, the medication choices are not those we'd use to treat a heart condition. Therefore, in this situation, you may want to consider a second opinion at another local vets or at least press for some bloods to be tested (ie geriatric blood profile) so you can get to the root cause and treat as effectively as possible for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but why can he still eat and not throw it up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

The most likely reason is he is distending the stomach too much with the water when he drinks. So, that is triggering the vomiting center in his brain. Though since he is likely over drinking as part of a bigger issue, you need to address that to stop the vomiting. But reducing the underlying nausea can act as a short term management option.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks and I will take him for a second opinion
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Levi. How is everything going?
nekovet