Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2 year old French Bulldog just randomly started acting

Customer Question

My 2 year old French Bulldog just randomly started acting lethargic and is breathing heavy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can you take a breathing ratefor me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left for work at noon and once I got home at 8pm he was acting unlike himself. His gums are pink. He's having really bad gas and is kind of warm. His stool was runny also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His breathing was a 96 (16X6) in 10 seconds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Has he had any loss of appetite? Vomiting, retching, gagging or lip licking?

Any belly tenderness or tensing if you press?

Could he have gotten into and eaten anything he should not have?

Is that breathing rate faster then normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's licking his lips more than normal. I pressed on his stomach and he didn't act like it hurt. There is nothing he could of gotten into while I was gone
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

i am glad that he is not sore, but did that tummy seem distended at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little bit. He just woke up on my couch and started urinating on it which he never does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's kind of shaky too
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

The shakiness is likely just a non-specific sign that he feels unwell. It usually settles if we can get them feeling better. Now that breathing rate is high for your lad. Resting rates should be ~20-30bpm. That said, if his gums are pink and he is potentially uncomfortable, it could be that that is triggering this elevated rate as opposed to respiratory distress. Though we will need to monitor it.

Now to have a young dog with gas (which can be painful in the gut), diarrhea, and agitation; this usually is associated with dietary indiscretions or ingestion of harmful things. Still, hopefully that is less likely here. And if you are sure, then we'd have to consider other issues like viral or bacterial GI gastroenteritis or pancreatitis.

With those in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care while closely monitoring him. Since lip licking is a sign of nausea, we can start by treating with an antacid.Comon safe dog options are:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Whichever you choose, we tend to give this 20 minutes before any food to help soothe the stomach. Once that is on board, we can try a light diet like rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg or cottage cheese. This can be offered in small meals to help settle the stomach. And as it is easy to digest, it will help with the loose stool as well.

Further to this, since you noted a lot of gas, you could give him a small dose of Simethicone (which is over the counter at most pharmacies and often sold with human baby medications or as Gas-X). When using this, you can give a dose of 1mg per pound of his body weight every 6-8 hours. As well, a canine probiotic could be of benefit if we have gas since often this will be related to a disturbance in the good gut bacteria...

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Overall, the elevated breathing rate is a concern. Still, with his other signs, it sounds like it may be related to a general discomfort with his gut. Therefore, I would suggest the above to reduce stomach upset, slow diarrhea and the gas. Further to this, you could also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) if his stools are very runny. But if they are just a bit loose, then the above should be enough to get him more settled and feeling like himself. Of course, if that breathing doesn't settle, his gums pale, or we do see belly pain; then we'd want him to his vet urgently to make sure he hasn't eaten something dangerous that he has not told you about.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much for all the info!! I'll keep an eye on him tonight and if it gets worse I'll take him into the vet in the morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action.

All the best,

Dr. B.