Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

When I took my dog on a walk earlier today she was started

Customer Question

when I took my dog on a walk earlier today she was started walking slightly like she was on a boat. She also moved her two front paws like she was going to trip over them for a few steps. Few hours later she almost fell going down some steps. She was a bit wobbly for about a minute, then seemed ok. She now won't jump up or down off the back steps of the house and her breathing is labored. She isn't panting, but her breathing is shallow (this is happening off and on). She also isn't stretched out like she normally is when she is sleeping. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow asap, but should I take her to the er tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

If you do still need assistance, can you tell me:

Any chance she has been in contact with some toxic (ie plants, chemicals, human medications, etc)?

Can you take a breathing ratefor me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Does she have a head tilt? Tremors?

Any circling in a particular direction?

Any discomfort or tensing in her belly if you press there?