Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is about 75 pounds and ate an eight of a container of

Customer Question

My dog is about 75 pounds and ate an eight of a container of the small bag of shakeology, chocolate flavor, will she be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the ingredient list of that product and found only chocolate flavor - not chocolate-containing theobromine which is the toxic xanthine derivative similar to caffeine in chocolate. There's nothing else in that product in an amount worrisome to a 75 lb dog. I wouldn't induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Transient gastrointestinal distress is always possible after ingesting such an unfamiliar food but toxicity shouldn't occur. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.