Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is showing all the signs of an ear infection. Is

Customer Question

My dog is showing all the signs of an ear infection. Is there a way to start treating with natural remedies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. Can you give me a description of what your dog is doing that makes you think he has an ear infection? Doe he have discharge? Is there an odor? How red or painful are the ears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is shaking his head consistently and tilting his head to the side. The ear in question is significantly more red than the ear that doesn't seem to be irritating him. There is an odor but doesn't seem to have a strong yeast smell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to take a picture and add it to the post.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

His ear does look quite irritated, and as though he may have some scabs/bleeding present. The ideal thing would be to get him into your vet so that they can do an ear swab to see what is growing in the ear (there can be yeast or different types of bacteria). He may need a topical medication with antibiotics or with antifungal medication, and sometimes oral steroids are needed for a very short while to decrease the severe inflammation.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you absolutely cannot get him into the vet, then there is a medication called Zymox Otic HCl that is available online (not sure if you can find it in a store),that may be enough to help. I do not think any homemade ear cleaner solution is going to be enough to treat this ear though, based on the severity I am seeing.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The concern with waiting too long for him to get treatment is that if dogs are shaking their head and scratching/rubbing their ears too much, they can create what is called an aural hematoma, where the pinnae (the floppy part of their ear) has the blood vessels rupture and the pinnae fills up with blood, becoming a big swollen painful ear. This is a much more expensive issue to deal with than just an ear infection, and sometimes requires surgery.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

You can make a homemade ear cleaner with white vinegar (1 part) and water (2 parts), but I do not think it will be enough for what is going on with your pup. I would NOT recommended putting alcohol into any homemade ear cleaner (you will see this sometimes online) because it can cause burning when the ear is already inflammed as his is! You don't want to cause him more pain and make him scared of having his ears cleaned.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I hope this information has answered your questions about care for your dog's ear! If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so that we can know if you were satisfied and know you received our reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. We ended up just taking him to the pet hospital down the street.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I hope that he is feeling better soon!!! While not life threatening, ear infections can be quite annoying to our pups! If you can take moment to rate our conversation so that we know if you were happy with your answer, that would be great. Then we can know your question has already been answered and close the question. Best of luck!