Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a year old Pomeranian mix and he keeps randomly

Customer Question

Hi I have a year old Pomeranian mix and he keeps randomly whimpering and crying. He also can't seem to lay still. He is eating and walking normally so I can't see what the problem is
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Gaston. I'm so sorry he's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need to help him.

So I may know that we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works, including that I will need to earn your positive rating in order to be compensated for my time, please type in a short reply then click REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good. Glad you're there. In order to help me help you better, I'll have some questions for you.

Does Gaston have a history of anal gland problems?

Have you been able to see him urinate and/or defecate lately?

No vomiting or diarrhea?

I'll await your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had his anal glands expressed in June because the vet recromended that for him. I have not seen him urinate or use the bathroom because he spends most of his days outside. He has not had vomiting or diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

And as he walks around are you completely sure he isn't lame on any of his legs. Also watch for reluctance to jump up or down, or do stairs, or shake his head. We're trying to get an idea if some particular part of his body is painful.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It's also helpful to know if he is scooting or licking anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He walks normally and jumps on the couch but doesn't want to walk down stairs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He moves around to different parts of the room and lays down and then gets back up, as if he can't get comfortable and then whimpers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't scoot or lick in any area
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Those symptoms can be very typical for back pain.

I think it's easy to be confused, though, as a veterinarian. I've been surprised when I've done emergency exams on some patients, where I thought it was back or neck pain, and it turned out to be bladder stones.

Just trying to emphasize that this is a tough guessing game.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Pomeranians, even young ones, can be predisposed to back and neck injuries. Because of the risk for that, I'd recommend a thorough veterinary exam to further investigate his pain.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't get him a appointment till tomorrow afternoon but it worries me to see him in pain
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Right... That means we have two major concerns to still discuss...

1. Is this something for which you should seek emergency care instead of waiting for an appointment

2. What can you do in the meantime to try to help him be more comfortable.

I will type in responses to those as quickly as I can...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It's always the safest bet to seek emergency care whenever you're worried about your pet. Falls under the "better safe than sorry" adage. That being said, I also understand that it's expensive and can mean a 3+ hour drive depending on your location. With that in mind, let me list of the signs that would indicate for me that Gaston is having an emergency...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
  • labored breathing
  • collapse
  • seizures
  • severe vomiting
  • severe diarrhea
  • pale mucus membranes (his gums should be pink)
  • intractable pain - he'd continue whining and vocalizing and becoming increasingly more distressed

If you see those things, I wouldn't wait for an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'd be on the phone to my closest emergency center.

If waiting until tomorrow is the only option, I'll offer the following advice for getting through the night...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please avoid the temptation to give any aspirin or other over-the-counter human medications. These are more likely to do harm than good, and the risks outweigh the benefits. Instead you will need to try to comfort him in other ways, or leave him to his own devices to comfort himself by placing him in his crate to allow him to calm himself down and prevent him from hurting himself further.

You can also try distraction by taking him for a car ride or for a walk or some other favorite activity. That will often work in mild cases of discomfort (insect stings, minor sprains, etc.).

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

But please do not medicate him.

Does this help to answer your questions for tonight?

I wish I could tell you WHY he is doing this, but his symptoms are not specific to any particular problem. They occur with lots of different things, so it's impossible to sort it out without a physical examination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. He is resting right now but I am going to try to take him on a walk in a little bit to see if that can help him out. If he keeps whimpering in pain I will take him to the emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for being willing to do that. It really is in Gaston's best interests. Don't worry - it's certainly NOT an over-reaction to take him to the ER for this. I've spent a lot of years working in an ER and we see a lot of patients for exactly these signs. If it turns out to be something minor, then that's just good news. If it is more serious, the sooner you get a diagnosis, the sooner you can start treatment and the sooner he'll get relief.

Thank you for talking with me tonight.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please kindly take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Gaston today. Is he feeling better?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how Gaston is doing.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo