Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a red meat intolerance but got a hold of a day

Customer Question

Hi my dog has a red meat intolerance but got a hold of a day old McDonald cheeseburger but it did not have onions is there anything I can give her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lacie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

Is she vomiting? How is she doing since eating the cheeseburger? What kind of reaction does she have to red meat?

How much does Lacie weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fine she is sleeping and her stomach isn't making any noises she usually has diarrhea for a couple of days after having red meat she is 50lbs
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If she develops diarrhea, you could give her Pepto Bismal or Imodium. She could take 1 to 2 teaspoons of Pepto Bismal, or 1 Imodium tablet, but I would only give it, if she gets the diarrhea.

If she is sleeping, her stomach is not gurgling, and if she is eating and not vomiting, I would just monitor her and treat her only if she gets diarrhea. Giving her probiotics might stave off the diarrhea. Probiotoics are beneficial bacteria supplements. I like ones made just for dogs, like Fortiflora or Proviable.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and it shouldn't be a problem that the burger was from yesterday? And can I get the probiotics at a store since the vet is not open
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You can get Fortiflora or Proviable at some pet stores. You can also try Culturelle, a probitoic for people, from a pharmacy.

It may or may not be a problem that the meat was old. Since it was cooked and not raw, it may be less likely to make him sick.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Lacie? Can I help with anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer. You can still get back to me with updates, after rating. Rebecca