Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 3.5 year old female dachshund has developed these black

Customer Question

My 3.5 year old female dachshund has developed these black scabs/moles on her skin on the left side of her ribcage near her front leg. They are pretty much flat and almost a little flaky or crusty looking, but not overly so. They are raised just a tiny bit, but they don't seem to be bothering her (either painful or itchy). They are fairly small, less than the size of a pencil eraser, and the 5 or so that she has range in size. One of them definitely seems to be a scab because part of it has peeled/lifted and the skin below is healthy and pink (not red, enflamed, oozy, etc). As far as I am aware, they're new, because I don't remember seeing them at least month or so ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she itchy or licking the area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I mentioned that it was neither painful nor itchy in my query.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the pictures. Friend, the lesions are consistent with a superficial bacterial infection. What you can do is pick up over the counter in your local pharmacy (CVS) Hibiclens antibacterial soap. Wash area with this soap. Then, apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2 times a day for the next 10 days. If not significant or if the lesions begin to spread follow up with family veterinarian to start her on oral antibiotics.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're sure it's not skin cancer or something more serious than a bacterial infection? I just want to be certain that she does have a bacterial infection and not something that would require professional medical intervention at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, without a biopsy I can not say ever 100% certainty that it is not cancer. But, given the history and appearance of the lesion it does resemble like a bacterial infection. Unlikely to be cancer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter