Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy weighing about 25 Lbs just ate 5mg go bistolic that I

Customer Question

Puppy weighing about 25 Lbs just ate 5mg go bistolic that I take for high blood pressure what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the trouble here is that this is not a blood pressure medication we use in dogs. Therefore, we do not have a safe dose range to determine the level of risk for Phoebe. Therefore, since blood pressure mediation can cause lethargy, weakness, wobbliness, fainting, low blood pressures and slowing of the heart/breathing rates; we'd be best to be proactive here.

Therefore, if she has just had this and is alert, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe,turkey baster – we just want to get itin. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If itis unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (orER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, we would be best to use the above now. While doing so and afterwards, do monitor for those adverse signs. If you do see any, then we'd want to consider having her to her vet for supportive care and IV fluids to flush the drug out of her system and keep her blood pressure up as it passes through her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )