Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have puppy about 9 weeks old who has been retching, had

Customer Question

I have puppy about 9 weeks old who has been retching, had some vomiting and his stomach is making awful gurgling noises. He also pooped. He will not eat or drink. He sounds wheezy as well. He now is trying to sleep, but he is shivering. I rescued him not even 48 hours ago.
I am pretty sure he ingested the rubber part of an ear bud. This reaction seems a bit strong for that.
I gave him one simethicone capsule.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can he drink any water at all? Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten anything else he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc) since this sounds too severe for the ear bud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. He slept off and on and woke up retching a couple more times. I took him outside and he ate some grass. When he got up again, he gagged and then seemed fine. He ate a small amount of food and has been drinking water.
He has not had any further symptoms since after eating the grass.
I am keeping watch on him, but I think it may be over.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That is good to hear and I am very glad to hear that he is settling. :)

Though just since you mentioned there has been a bit of gagging and grass eating (signs of nausea), do make sure to offer small meals of a light diet for a few days. You can use rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg. These are all light on the stomach and tend to be well tolerated. And while Simethicone is helpful with gas in the gut, if you see any more gagging, grass eating, or vomiting; it may be better to use an antacid like Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). They are just better for settling upset stomachs. But hopefully this was just a dietary indiscretion and he is on the mend.

Take care & best wishes for Murray,

Dr. B.