Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can a systolic murmur grade II be caused by the dog being

Customer Question

Can a systolic murmur grade II be caused by the dog being exceedingly nervous during the vet appointment? ( I need a yes answer, even if it is extremely rare)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Unfortunately, nervousness is not going to cause a heart murmur. If there is a heart murmur present it can be made worse if the heart rate is faster. So, if a dog is nervous and therefore the heart is beating faster it can make a murmur sound louder, but there was likely a murmur there to start with.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but the vet that mentioned that she was very nervous was wrong to suggest that was the whole explanation for her murmur.

Dr. Stacy