Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My daughter has a mini daschund weighing appx 10 pounds. Up

Customer Question

My daughter has a mini daschund weighing appx 10 pounds. Up to date on shots. Bunny has had diarrhea since Thursday, but she jumps and hops and plays as though normal. She has given her Pepto Bismol, but not regularly. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear your grand-dog has diarrhea. There are many things that can cause diarrhea in young dogs so she will likely need to see her regular veterinarian for diagnostics and treatments.

The following is a list of possible causes of diarrhea in young dogs, in no particular order-

-dietary indiscretion- eating something she shouldn't that caused severe irritation causing diarrhea

-intestinal parasites (hookworms, roundworms, giardia, coccidia). Your vet will run a fecal exam and prescribe dewormer to treat any parasites that are found.

-food allergy- uncommon but not unheard of in young dogs. If the fecal is negative and the diarrhea persists in spite of symptomatic treatments, a food trial with a low residue diet such as Royal Canin GI Low Fat is warranted.

For treatment over the counter, I would only recommend a probiotic such as Fortiflora. Peptobismol is not effective for dogs and can cause other problems such as stomach irritation.

Your veterinarian will likely recommend an antibiotic such as metronidazole, a dewormer, and a probiotic.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your grand-puppy this evening? Any luck with a successful treatment for the diarrhea? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda