Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What will happen to a dog that doesn't need to take

Customer Question

What will happen to a dog that doesn't need to take Levetiracetam 250mg? It's for a dog who's 66lbs and my rat terrier who's around 10lbs got it. Hide it in pb and put in mouth of big dog but a bit fell out and it had the pill in it! The little one dived in a took it b 4 I could get it. Plz help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily Levetiracetam is a relatively safe agent. Dogs given 1200 mg/kg/day (approximately 20X therapeutic dosage) developed only salivation and vomiting. Human patients given 6000 mg/kg during drug testing developed only drowsiness. Other effects noted in human overdoses (doses not specified) after the drug was released include depressed levels of consciousness, agitation, aggression and respiratory depression.

There were 114 single agent exposures to levetiracetam reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 108 dogs, 13 were symptomatic with lethargy (69%), hyperthermia (15%), recumbency (15%) and vomiting (15%) being the most common clinical signs.

Treatment is basically supportive of clinical signs that are seen; the drug can be removed with hemodialysis. In the circumstance of a significant overdose in animals, contact an animal poison control center for further recommendations.

Your little dog at 10 pounds (4.5 kg) ingested a 250 mg tablet at a dose of 56 mg/kg well below the dose listed above, the normal dose is approximately 20 mg/kg...

You can elect to induce vomiting at 1 tsp per ten pounds of 3% hydrogen peroxide (i.e. 1 tsp for your dog) to remove it from her system and reduce any anxiety you have overnight in monitoring her or you can elect to monitor for any clinical signs listed above for an 8-12 hour period

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 30 minutes to assist or answer any further questions this evening...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, how is your dog after eating the medication yesterday? I would love an update when you are able.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate our conversation so that I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to all three of you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie-Mix4yrand Sock-Rat Terrier6yr. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman