Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Came home an hour and a half ago and the bag of Dasuquin

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, came home an hour and a half ago and the bag of Dasuquin for large dogs was eaten. There are 3 dogs - 70lb German Shepard, 90lb Labrador and a 65 pound mix breed. Don't know who ate how much of the 165 chewables.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have given them a head of lettuce between the 3 dogs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I guess.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, dasuquin has a very wide safety margin in dogs. Likely the only symptoms you will see is mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. I would recommend you keep an eye on them, if they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter