Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog is very irritated around her buttox region and the

Customer Question

My dog is very irritated around her buttox region and the top of her tail I took her to the vet. And she said nothing is wrong but I am not so sure because every time I touch her skin the she keeps whining in pain and rubbing her but on the carpet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Chewy. It definitely sounds like she has irritation on her back end. One thing that should be checked if they did not already check it are her anal glands. If they get full they can cause a lot of irritation and pain and then this causes her to rub her butt on the carpet which in turn causes even more pain. So if they didn't check them then her anal glands need to be checked. Then expressing them should give her some relief from the discomfort in her rear. If this isn't the case you can request a steroid shot to be given to relieve some of the irritation and pain in the back end. It could be related to allergies this time of year. Again the steroids would help that if that was the case. But first her anal glands should be checked.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!