Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My giant schnauzer female was on pegesone a year or more ago

Customer Question

my giant schnauzer female was on pegesone a year or more ago
and developed a wetting problem. now and than but not always.
but to often!!!
thanks for any help.
andy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Just to be sure was the drug she was on prednisone { pegesone } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
yes i think that was it . my spelling ,sorry it made her drink like a fish and pee'd a lot
the vet was treating her for limpping ,said her joints ,her white corpuscles were attaching her red corpuscles?
i am very upset with vet. that did this.
andy

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

No problem, that sounds like prednisone, I would very much doubt if this was related to the symptoms you are seeing now though, I think this is likely to be a separate issue.

Basically there are two forms of incontinence in the female dog which vets commonly see. One is the incontinence of cystitis [ bladder infections ] where the dog knows what is going on but has to go anyway.The second form is urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch and judging from your question I am sure there is some degree of possibility that this is what your dog is suffering from. Since this form of incontinence would be a strong possibility I will tell you what I know about it.

1. It tends to affect large and giant breeds such as Dobermans, Rotweillers, GSDs, Labs etc. this is a size issue so it could well affect your breed.

2. It affects spayed bitches.

3. The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying, and urine will dribble out of the dog as she walks or is lying down.

4. The cause of this disease is relaxation of the urethral sphincter.

5. It is easily treatable via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin { Proin } , this is possibly your best option, it is given orally. Other drugs which can be used are various female hormones.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a on line to order this med.. for maya
at this time i don't feel that i have a reg vet.
andy

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately these are prescription drugs so it will not be possible to order them online without a written prescription from a vet.

It is probably best to have at least one consultation with a vet if only to have the diagnosis confirmed and most vets will then supply the drugs { or a written prescription } from that point.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her wetting problem ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.