Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a 12 year old scottie who has had a lot of loose

Customer Question

i have a 12 year old scottie who has had a lot of loose stools (10 per day) for the past 2 months. She now has blood coming out of her anus. She has no vomiting, so/so appetite (she eats, but not as voraciously as before), eats only dog food, no weight loss, negative for heart worm....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, this is Dr.Gabby. Can you tell me what test have been done so far? Has she had a fecal test, blood work, x-rays, or an ultrasound? What is the name of the food you feed her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no tests have been done so far. She eats Iams lamb and rice
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

This is something that will need to be diagnosed in order to treat it. There are many things that can cause chronic diarrhea and blood in the stool.

Some examples are parasites, worms, abnormal bacteria, metabolic disease, food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, and growths in the gastrointestinal tract.

So, if I were the vet I would start with a fecal test. First I would check for worms and then I would check for coccida and giardia as well as abnormal bacteria. All of those can be treated with prescription medications. Those would be the most common problems we see.

If the fecal test was normal I would run blood work to see if she has metabolic disease.

If that was normal next I would take abdominal x-rays to see if there is anything in the abdomen that should not be there.

I think you will find something with those tests that you can treat.

Until you can get her to a vet, I would feed her a bland diet of plain cooked ground beef rinsed of fat mixed with plain cooked rice or pasta.

The blood is from severe inflammation and irritation in the lining of the intestines. If there is more than a teaspoon of blood in one stool, or her gums turn pale with blood loss, then she needs to see a vet right away.

Does that help?