How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14883
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My three border collies consumed about 20 dis-taste chews

Customer Question

My three border collies consumed about 20 dis-taste chews (640 mg sodium) about 12 hours ago. They weigh 60, 45, and 30 pounds respectively. Energy and appetites are fine. Do I need to panic?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pups got into the Dis-taste chews and ingested about 20 of them about 12 hours ago.

I am pleased to hear that everyone seems to feel fine.

I am assuming you aren't sure which dog ingested how many, or if one may have eaten them all?

Of course the concern is salt toxicity, as 20 chews is 12,800mgs or 12.8grams of salt. A lethal dose is dogs is about 4 grams per kilogram (2.2 pounds of body weight).

Your smallest dog is 30 pounds or 13.63kgs. A lethal dose for her would be 54.55grams. So even if she ate them all it would not be a lethal amount of salt. But she could have other symptoms of toxicity.

Excess salt intake in dogs results in vomiting within several hours of ingestion, then signs can progress to weakness, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and seizures.

Since your pups seem fine 12 hours later, with no vomiting or diarrhea which should be the initial signs, it is unlikely any one dog ingested a toxic amount, but it is worth keeping a close eye on them for the next 24-48 hours.

There is no specific treatment for salt toxicity, and I suspect that they have been drinking enough to wash out the excess sodium and keep their blood levels within an acceptable range. But if they develop symptoms then have them seen by a veterinarian and placed on intravenous fluids.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm just checking in to make sure that all of your pups are still feeling fine and to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions for me, Dr. Kara.